Today, we're in a blizzard warning. It had been a blizzard watch, then a winter storm warning, then a blizzard warning. But, while we waited for the blizzard part to show up, we had a good ol' thunderstorm. In February. In Iowa. With hail. Lots and lots and lots of hail.
This is how hard it was coming down, right about the time the kids were supposed to be coming home from school for their 1 p.m. early out. Yes, it looks like rain, but it's not. It's all ice. Hail, I would assume. That or we had a sleet storm, complete with thunder and lightning.
I didn't think to take a picture of the driveway after it was over, so this was about an hour and a half after it stopped. Laura is very excited by the pond under the evergreen tree. She's really hoping it freezes smooth so she can have her own ice skating rink.
After taking that picture, I decided I should go shovel the driveway and sidewalks before it all froze down and got snowed on. I've never shoveled tapioca before, but I'm guessing it would be very similar to shoveling this:
Shoveling was also quite unsuccessful since there was so much water with it, so I quit after doing a halfway acceptable job on the sidewalks. But it sure was fun to scoop and throw all these little ice balls!
(You can click on this picture to see it a little larger.)
For now, our rain is done, our thunder and lightning are done, our hail is done, and we're waiting on the snow and wind. Happy Big Weather Day, everyone!





No comments:
Post a Comment